With Peanut Butter Sauce
I made this dish for the first time about 7 years ago with my mother, this was also the first time i tasted it. And honestly, I wasn’t the biggest fan of it back then. As a kid I found the rice paper to sticky and slimy, raw vegetables wasn’t a favourite either.
It wasn’t until recently that I tried it again, and it was so good!
Feel free to fill the rolls with whatever your heart desires. But this is what i do and it’s so delicious!
When it comes to dipping sauce I like peanut butter sauce, it’s sweet, savoury and spicy. I posted a recipe to one in this post but don’t feel like you have to strictly follow the recipe. I usually use whatever I have at home and mix it with peanut butter. What is important is soy sauce or tamarin and some kind of sweetener. Than you can add what you feel like, I love to add hoisin to mine!
Recipe 4 Servings | 40 minutes
- 1 package spring roll rice wrappers , found in the Asian foods section at the grocery store
- 1 package rice noodles , found in the Asian foods section at the grocery store
- 1 large carrot , peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 2 large red pepper sliced into thin strips
- 1 large cucumber , peeled and sliced into thin strips
- 6 big shiitake mushrooms
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 2 avocados
- Extra salad to fill in the rolls
1. Start with prepping all the vegetables and put them aside.
2. Slice the shiitake mushrooms into 7mm strips and fry in a little bit of oil on medium heat until softened. I like to salt my mushrooms while i cook them. When cooked, put aside.
3. Now to the rice paper, Fill a large bowl with warm water. Dip one wrapper into the hot water for a few seconds to soften. Lay wrapper flat. In a row across the center, place your veggies, mushrooms and cilantro, leaving about 2 inches uncovered on each side. Fold uncovered sides inward, then tightly roll the wrapper. Repeat with remaining ingrediens.
Watch this video to learn how to roll; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfI1wMeDXhg
Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce 4 people | 10 mins
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 2 tsp fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tbsp water, as needed
In a bowl combine all the ingrediens except the water. Mix with a fork or whisk until smooth. Add water if needed. Ready to serve!