Vegan Pulled Pork - Veggo Vendy
Skip to Content
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups jackfruit, fresh or canned (450 g)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon vegan worcestershire
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 cups vegetable stock(480 mL)
- ½ cup vegan bbq sauce(120 g)
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF (180ºC).
- Oil a large knife and cut the jackfruit in half.
- NOTE: If using fresh jackfruit, line your work surface with plastic wrap
- Carefully remove the core of the jackfruit by cutting into it at an angle.
- Pull each fruit out and remove its seeds and outer coating. Rinse the fruit thoroughly then dry.
- NOTE: You can save the seeds to roast.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pan or Dutch oven.
- Add the onions and garlic, and cook until translucent.
- Add the jackfruit, spices, Worcestershire, and liquid smoke. Stir to coat evenly.
- Add the vegetable stock and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, until the liquid is mostly absorbed and the fruit has broken down.
- Spread the jackfruit on a prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 75 minutes, until the liquid has baked out and the jackfruit has a deeper brown color.
- Pour the vegan barbecue sauce over the jackfruit.
- Mix and return to the oven for 15 minutes.
- Serve warm on vegan buns with vegan coleslaw.