I used to love beef mignon with red wine sauce and mashed potatoes. But it’s obviously not vegan. Making the red wine sauce vegan was pretty easy, the hard part was to make vegan steak. Sometimes I just use vegan/vegetarian “chicken”, (I like the quorn fillets). But in this recipe i made a portobello steak, really delicious if you like mushrooms!
The recipe is for 4 servings and takes about 1 hour
Red wine sauce
- 1 carrot
- 1 red onion
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 tomato
- 1 small chilli
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 100 ml balsamico vineger
- 300 ml red wine
- 400 ml water
- 1-2 vegetable stock cubes or 2 tbsp fond
- salt & pepper
- optional: sweet chili sauce
- 4 big portobello mushrooms
- olive oil
- salt and peppar
Vegan Mashed potatoes
- 1 cup Vegan Milk of your choice, I used Oat
- 1 kg potatoes
- Sauce: Cut the veggies and garlic and brown in a pan. Add the sugar and let caramelize for a few minutes
- Add the vineger and boil on low heater until reduced to half. Takes about 15 minutes
- Add the wine, water and stock and let simmer for 15 minutes again.
- Now I usally thicken the sauce with some cornstarch that I mix with a litlle bit of water. Let boil for a few minuets.
The Sauce is done, so let’s move on to the Steak
- Steak: Rubs the mushrooms with olive oil and season with salt and peppar. Feel free to marinade them with your favorite marinade just like it’s real steak.
- Heat a grill or a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once warmed, add the portobello mushrooms and cook on each side for 4-5 minutes, or until softened and a deep golden brown. Gently flip the mushrooms as they will be fragile!
Now to the mash
- Mash: To make The world’s simplest mash start with making sure the potatoes are over-cooked. That makes them the easiest to work with.
- Strain the water from the potatoes and mix the potatoes with an electric whisk.
- Heat some milk and pour into the mash until you get the consistency you want. Salt.