A few days ago my partner wanted to get his favorite wrap from this pita Mediterranean restaurant that he loves. That wraps contains chicken though so I decided I would make a replica of this wrap but, of course, make it vegan! 😀
For the chicken part of this wrap, I used Qourn pieces, which taste just like chicken, especially in a wrap mixed with a lot of other ingredients.
The original recipe also calls for feta cheese which I substituted with vegan feta cheese. It’s fine to leave out cause I know vegan feta may be hard to find. I use the Violife plant-based feta, you can get it at Whole Foods if you’re in the US.
Here’s the recipe for my vegan spicy chicken and couscous wraps:
- 300g qourn pieces or any vegan chicken you like
- 4 big tortillas
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 big tomato
- 1/2 red onion
- 1/4-1/2 iceberg salad
- 1/2 packet vegan feta
- Avocado (optional)
- Spicy salsa
- Vegan ranch (I recommend this one)
- Salt and pepper
- Start off with cooking the couscous. The instructions should be on the package but it’s super easy, just put as much water as couscous in a pot, bring to a boil then take off the heat but have the lid on for a few minutes.
- Cook the qourn pieces in a pan in some olive oil and fry until they get some color and they’re heated all the way through.
- Cut all the veggies into small pieces. Be extra thorough with the onion as you don’t want big chugs of that.
- To assemble the wraps start by lay a big spoonful of couscous on the tortilla and on that bed of couscous layer on all the other ingredients. The order doesn’t really matter, just make sure you get everything on there. The feta I just crumble on. Both the salsa and the ranch should be evenly distributed throughout the wrap. I usually out the salsa right after the couscous and then I end with the ranch, it works for me but do it how you find it to be the easiest way.
- Now you fold them together, wrap them in some foil for the extra support and cut them in half.
Substitute for the vegan ranch; I actually forgot to buy vegan ranch so instead, a made a garlic yogurt sauce. It’s super easy to make, just mix minced garlic with you vegan yogurt of choice (non-flavored) with salt and pepper. 🙂
TIP! Add some Piri Piri sauce or just any hot sauce to this wrap if you love spice as much as I do! it’s delicious!!