Cinnamon buns and cardamon buns are a Swedish classic and defiantly my favorite pastry. I’ve recently started to like cardamon more than the normal cinnamon ones. They’re normally not vegan but I switched some things for non-dairy products so us vegan can enjoy them to:-D
The swirls are easier to make then you think, but you can of curse roll them up like normal cinnamon buns.
Here’s a video on a easy way to twist the bun
It’s harder to get that browning on top without using egg wash to brush on top. I used oat milk instead but you can try some coconut oil or maple syrup.
Vegan Swedish Cardamom Buns
- 1 1/4 Cups Oat Milk
- 30 Grams Fresh Yeast
- 680 Grams all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 Cups sugar
- 2 tbsp grounf cardemum
- 100 grams vegan butter room tempertured
- 150 grams vegan butter room temperature
- 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 tbsp ground cardamom
- Measure out all the ingredients (except the butter) in a bowl and crumble the yeast. The dough liquid does not need to be heated. Run in a dough mixer for about 3 minutes until the dough comes together and add the butter in cubes. Keep kneedingfor about 10 minutes .
- Let the doigh rest for 20 mintues coverd witha kitchen townel
- Whisk together the ingredients with an electric whisk until a smooth filling.
- Roll out the dough into a rectangle about 5mm in thickness
- Spread the filling evenly on the dough.
- Fold the dough in half from the long side. Cut about 1 1/2 cm thick strips and spin into buns.
- Put the buns on a baking pan covered with parchemntpaper and put into the oven with only the oven light on. Leave to rest least 60 min. The dough can rise up to 90 minutes.
- Take the buns out of the oven.
- Put the owen on 225°C (437°F)
- Brush the buns with milk and sprinkle with cardamom and sugar.
- Bake the buns in the middle of the oven for about 12-14 minutes or until the buns are golden brown.
If you make them to thin they will break in the oven… ops!